The friendly people at Hubspot have written a short article that explains why it so important that all websites use HTTPS now.
Here is a short summary:
- It’s good for search: Google ranks ssl-secured websites higher
- It’s better for users: user privacy = important; https = good for privacy
- SSL is required for AMP: AMP is going to play a major role in SEO in the coming months
- Google is indexing mobile: Their algorithms will eventually primarily use the mobile version of a site’s content to rank pages from that site.
- Avoid “Not secure.”: In January 2017, Chrome 56 will start displaying “not secure” in the browser bar for any http (notice it’s missing the “s”) sites that ask users for login or credit card information.
So in case you don’t know how to convert your website to SSL, here are some links:
- How do I get free HTTPS on my website? on quora.com
- Start using free tier of CloudFlare, and upgrade later
Read the complete article in the Hubspot blog.
PS: Yes, their reasoning is very (Internet-) marketing oriented, but this is chance to walk over to marketing and surprise them with progress you made for them!
PS: If you like how we think about IT and networks, check out our software PRTG Network Monitor which monitors uptime, usage and performance of networks.